Friday, September 25

bib for baby... finally

I've resisted making bibs for a while now. Short story... I'm just not sure about what materials to use, how I want to go about them, what shape/size, and a whole lot of other bogus excuses.

Well. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I read (on some blog?? don't remember where???) about some iron-on vinyl stuff. The people at the local JoAnn Fabric store didn't really know what I was talking about. I decided to just give this one bolt of stuff I found a try. I got half a yard and went to town this afternoon.
I sewed the candy striped fabric across the front of the bib. Then I ironed the vinyl on. It went on ok, except for the crease down the middle. Guess the red striped stuff wasn't quite ironed as well as it should have been!
After I sewed the seam & turned it right side out, it was VERY crinkly looking. Not quite what I was going for. Another ironing helped a little, but it's not quite what I was hoping for. The backing is white flannel with red dots. I top-stitched it and I'm going to sew on a snap later this evening.

I have a few kinks to work out, but I'm thinking this may be a good option for the craft show I'm going to be in this November. It is kind of exciting though to think that the options for bib fabric are pretty much endless though!

1 comment:

fawnda said...

I use iron on vinyl for many things... I usually iron it on before I sew it... I wonder if you iron it to the strips before you sew them together if that would work better.

I love your leaf tee too! so cute!