Wednesday, November 5

yes!!!

Election Day has come and gone. And what a day it was! I was so proud to be able to walk into my polling place with my children and vote for the first black President of the United States. It was important to me that my children be there - that way they can say in their own little way that they helped make history.

So many bloggers don't really want to get into politics at the risk of offending one of their readers. Whatever. Right now this is a private blog anyway. ha. But even if it wasn't, I would be proud to say my thoughts about election day and all the surrounding issues. If you don't like it, then don't read it. Oh well. We're each entitled to our own opinions. There's another blogger I read who is pretty dead set on the other side of the aisle. Good for her. It's America, she's got the right to speak her mind. But she said she felt "dismayed" today. Sorry to be contradictory, but I am EXCITED!!!

Hopefully Obama's Presidency is even half of what it's cracked up to be. Some of my favorite parts of his acceptance speech...

"This victory alone is not the change we seek. It is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It can't happen without you, without a new spirit of service, a new spirit of sacrifice. So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility, where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other...........That's the true genius of America: that America can change. Our union can be perfected. What we've already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow..........America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves -- if our children should live to see the next century; what progress will we have made? This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment."

And what a moment.

My thanks for today is thanks for a day filled with the promise of a momentous change, the promise of a perfected union. That and some sunshine, leaves, and 2 kids that will grow up in a better America.

No comments: