Thursday, February 5

breakfast puffs

This is our special, indulgent breakfast treat carried over from my childhood (thanks to Betty Crocker). My brother and I would fight to lick the cinnamon sugar off the plate when we were done eating... yeah we're that crazy for them.
Now my husband and I make it for lazy mornings (we don't have a lot of those!) and for birthdays. This batch we made recently for our son's 4th.

The recipe makes a dozen - obviously they didn't even make it to picture time!



Mix 1/3 c. shortening, 1/2 c. sugar and 1 egg.
Stir in 1-1/2 c. flour, 1-1/2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. nutmeg alternately with 1/2 c. milk.
Fill greased muffin cups about 2/3 full.
Bake @ 350 until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Immediately after baking, roll puffs in 1/2 c. melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar (1 t. cinnamon, 1/2 c. sugar).

yummmm. Don't forget to lick your fingers when you're done.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

These look delicious. I need to hurry and think up a reason for today to be a special occasion so I can try them! :)

Judy said...

Those look great. I don't think they would last long in my house either.

Anonymous said...

We gave our 9 year old the present of her dreams for Christmas, a pancake puff pan. She has just been enticed to get it out today and use it to make us a treat like yours! Mmmm... we don't eat such things much anymore due to health issues, but today our taste buds are getting a treat! Thanks to you.

Jenny said...

I made these this morning for my family and they didn't last long at all. My family of five gobbled them up in less time than it took me to make them! Thanks for sharing!
~Jenny~

Robin said...

Sounds like a holeless donut. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!