Sunday, January 10

LEGO party - invites

My boy is turning 5 next month - so time to get a party organized! In the past, it's just been family parties. But since it's 5 this year, we decided to let him have 5 friends over for a little party. We're hosting "Lego-Mania". I'm having fun looking around for ideas and trying to come up with stuff. Here's what I'm doing for the invites...

I decided to make some Legos. I made 4 different kinds so I could choose which one was easiest to make, which one looked the best, etc. The first one is cardstock on little pop-up foam dots. Cute, and had lots of supplies for those - but hard to line up the dots as you can tell!
The next two choices have foam bases. The one on the left has foam dots glued on, the one on the right has metal brads. The foam dots were static-y and stuck to the hole punch. The brads were easiest, but most expensive and in the least supply.
This was another foam attempt. I hand-cut the foam circles and stuck them on bigger pop dots. Too high of a rise, and too annoying to cut out as many circles as I was going to want. Plus I just didn't like the jagged look on the little circles.

So here's what I finally decided on... On the front, I used a green crayon and did a rubbing with a Lego base plate underneath. Using a LEGO font, I typed out the front of the card "Join us for Lego-Mania", put it on colored paper, and used a couple big circle brads. Then I made 5 Lego blocks - yellow, red, green, blue and black - and put them on the green crayon-rubbed base plate. I ended up going with the all-foam example from the middle picture. (It probably would have been easier to just buy Legos and stick them on. But not nearly as much fun!)(Can you tell my son loves LEGO?!!! See the little black and white car in front - he put that together all by himself!!!)
The inside just has the details - birthday, time, address, etc. Simple.
I'm working on what to do for a little goody bag, so more Lego stuff coming up in a week or two. And a cake - I've got big plans ;)

3 comments:

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Your invites are adorable, and legos are a great theme for a boy bday party. Johnny discovered little legos when we went to Vienna.Now he wants nothing to do with duplos, just little legos...

Melissa said...

Great Ideas. I may steal some for Cooper's next party! Can't wait to see more.......

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Fun ideas!