Monday, October 27

old threads

I've been doing laundry and it still amazes me that my old college sweatshirt makes it through without falling to shreds. I got the sweatshirt almost exactly 15 years ago so I'd be able to show my freshman pride at the football game. It was so soft and fuzzy I waited as long as I could to wash it because I didn't want to lose it.
Now 15 years later it holds more memories than I can count. It has taken numerous trips across the country, cried with me and laughed with me.
So much I can't let go of.

I go back and forth about replacing the cuffs. Someday I'm sure I will replace them, when I have the courage to sew with knits. And when I have the courage to let go of the past. That's a hard thing for me to do! Right now, I cling to the sweatshirt as a reminder of all the places I've been. And it is a reminder of the work that will be to come.

Need your own little trip down memory lane? Listen to This Shirt by Mary Chapin Carpenter.
And remember a soft spot from your past.

No comments: