Sunday, May 3

a great team


Sarah Stewart and David Small make a great team.

The first book of theirs that I read was The Gardener. The principal who hired me was retiring, and this was a special part of her retirement party. It still brings a tear to my eye & gets me all choked up. I loved this book so much that I had to scout out the rest...

The Library - a book about Elizabeth (love the name) who "learned to read quite early/And at an incredible rate" - hmm... sounds familiar. She ends up turning her house and collection of books into the town's library. LOVE IT!

The Journey
is about a young Amish girl's trip to Chicago. I have been to Chicago more times than I can count - but it still amazes me. Seeing the skyline, driving under the "Post Office", the lakefront... I can only imagine the journey through this girl's eyes! What makes it even better is her ability to compare life in Chicago to Amish life. Fascinating.

The Friend is the one book of theirs that I don't own and don't remember reading. I just remembered about it when I was searching for the links on Amazon. Hmmm.... off to the book store I go!

The Money Tree - OK. I went down to get it off my bookshelf, and realized I don't have this one either. Guess I'm just remembering it from my school library. Acckk... Well anyway - the title caught me first because my grandparents had a "money tree" growing in their yard - you know the kind with the paper-thin translucent leaves. What a cool "tree" that was. The book is just an interesting look at community.

1 comment:

MaryAnne said...

These books sound really interesting. I'll have to check them out...